Exciting Media Convergence Program – Spots Still Available
Exciting 1-year media convergence program
- State of the art facility
- Live television broadcasts on TVCogeco 6-times per week
- A working newsroom experience
- Radio, Television, Print, Online
- Learn from faculty who still work in the industry
- Convergence journalism (1 of 3 such programs in the world)
St. Clair College’s new Media Convergence program provides students with the multi-skilled tools they require to compete in the ever challenging field of journalism and communications. Students will produce TV shows, radio newscasts, a number of newspaper editions, and online products such as podcasts and blogs. Students will learn to become converged media journalists – able to work in any newsroom and in any situation. Completion of a capstone convergence production is a requirement for graduation. Students will also produce short form radio and video documentaries.
- Gives graduates two semesters to polish their skills in a newsroom setting
- Provides people working in the media an opportunity to develop converged reporting skills – working in radio, TV, print and online
- Convergence management course provides leadership skills required in the running of converged newsrooms of the 21st century
- Participants leave with a portfolio of cross platform products to demonstrate their marketable skills in writing, production, on-air and web journalism
- The capstone project required for graduation is a culmination of all cross platform competencies – on-air, production, web and management – that showcase the multi-skill abilities acquired which will enhance employability in the workplace.
Diploma or degree in a related field from a recognized college or university OR demonstrated competence through related work.
Mature students – See Admission Procedures for details.
The newsrooms of today and into the future require journalists who are multi-skilled and able to deliver converged reporting across all media platforms – online, radio, TV and print. St. Clair College’s Media Convergence graduate year provides participants with those skills which consequently makes them highly marketable in all newsrooms. We also teach converged newsroom management skills – including learning how to determine when a story can be used across all media platforms – giving students another level of employment opportunities.
The backpack aspect of the program hones the convergence skills necessary to be a successful freelancer or e-lancer. Participants learn how to competently file stories to all media outlets, from anywhere in the world, working with a cell phone and/or laptop.
Storytelling I (News/Feature)
Back Pack Lab I (Radio and TV)
Back Pack Lab II (Print/Web)
Capstone Convergence Production I
Storytelling II (News/Feature)
Convergence Lab I
Capstone Convergence Production II
Convergence Lab II (Editing and Production)
Convergence Technology and Podcasting
Radio Writing and Production